Cinco de Mayo is this weekend and what better way to celebrate than with this classic dessert? Sweet, moist cake topped with whipped cream and strawberries is a combination that will leave you wanting more. Gather your friends for a party this weekend and wow them with this yummy treat!
1/2 cup coconut milk (*adds a very subtle coconut flavour - substitute whole milk if you'd prefer)
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons powdered sugar - or to taste
optional: toasted coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and set aside./In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Separate egg whites from the yolks.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add in vanilla and milk and mix until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on high until soft peaks start to form. Continue beating and add in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar very slowly until egg whites become a stiffer, but not dry.
5. Carefully sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the egg whites, and drizzle half of the egg yolk mixture on top. Use a spatula to gently fold batter together. Once combined, repeat with remaining flour and yolk mixtures. Careful not to overmix! Gently spread into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
7. While cake is cooling, mix together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut milk.
8. Use a toothpick or wooden skewer to poke holes into the cake, all the way to the bottom. Make as many holes as you have patience for, as these are where the milk mixture will absorb into the cake.
9. Very slowly pour the milk mixture evenly over the cake. I know it seems weird, just do it! It's perfect if there's a bit of milk sitting in the bottom of the pan at the end, as this will be absorbed into the bottom of the cake. If you prefer your Tres Leches cake to be super moist and milky, you may want to increase the milk even more.
10. Cover the cake and place in the fridge to absorb the milk mixture for at least 2 hours, or overnight is even better.
11. Directly before serving, whip the whipping cream until quite stiff, and add vanilla and powdered sugar to taste. Spread whipped cream over the cake, and decorate with sprinkles, strawberries, and/or toasted coconut!