Halloween festivities are in full-swing! Which means the kids are already indulging in that bucket full of candy, while you’re sticking to that "healthy halloween” plan. Fortunately you don’t have to ignore any of those sweet temptations to maintain that goal of yours! This week we’ve teamed up with Taylor of Food Faith Fitness who proves there’s no trick to making your halloween healthy with her Spooky Mini Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate. Keep scrolling to whip up these quick and easy ghostly treats and let us know what you think! Be sure to see what other creations she has in store for you by following Taylor’s Instagram here.
20 min Prep Time
20 min Cook Time
40 min Total Time
For the cupcakes
- 1/4 Cup Natural creamy peanut butter (almond butter for paleo version)
- 2 Tbsp Honey (Agave for vegan version)
- 1/2 lightly heaping cup Banana, mashed (about 1 very large banana or 2 small) (137g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Coconut flour (11g)
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the coconut cream*
- 1 13oz Can Full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Honey (agave for vegan version)
- Mini dark chocolate chips, for decorating (dairy-free for Vegan version)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and rub a mini muffin tin with coconut oil. Set aside. Additionally, place a metal or glass bowl, along with the beaters of an electric hand mixer, into the freezer.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and the honey until the peanut butter just begins to turn smooth and runny, about 1 minute. Be careful not to cook the honey so it hardens.
- Scrape the melted peanut butter mixture into a small food processor (mine is 3 cups) and blend until well combined. Add in the mashed banana and vanilla extract and blend again until well combined, scraping the sides down as necessary.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into the food processor and blend until thick, creamy and well mixed. Make sure to really scrape the sides of the processsor down to incorpoarte all the flour.
- Fill the cavities of the muffin tin 3/4 of the way fill and smooth the tops out. Bake until the cupcakes have risen, the edges are lighytly golden and a toothpick inserted into the cneter of one comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- To make the frosting:
- Take your chilled coconut milk out of the refrigerator and flip it upside down. Open it, and pour out the liquid on the top (save it for a smoothie later!).
- Spoon the chilled cream that is at the bottom of the can into the chilled bowl. Add in the honey and beat with an electric hand mixer on high speed, until light and fluffy.
- Pipe the coconut cream onto the TOTALLY cooled cupcakes and create a ghost face out of 3 chocolate chips on each cupcake.
* You will end up only using half of the whipped coconut cream. Put the rest on something to make it extra delicious!
SHOP TAYLOR'S FAVORITE ALBION GEAR