It's the most wonderful time of the year! When your kitchen is scented with sweet smells of holiday goodness, it's hard not to devour those dessert cravings. This Tasty Tuesday we teamed up with Emilie of Emilie Eats
who share's her go-to Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes recipe just for you to whip up for your friends and family!
All we can say is, when we invite deep dark chocolate and cool peppermint into our lives, there's not an ounce of guilt that crosses our minds. Bake Emilie's fun recipe and let us know what you think!
Be sure to follow @EMILIEEATS to catch her other favorite vegan treats.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mills Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour or Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- ¼ cup oat flour*
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup almond or cashew butter**
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- For the Frosting:
- 1½ cups pitted dates, covered in hot water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, add milk and vinegar; stir. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In the bowl with the milk mixture, add coconut sugar, almond butter, applesauce, peppermint extract, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir to combine until ingredients are just mixed together; do not over-mix.
- Fill each cup with batter, a little over ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes; let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Drain dates; add to a food processor or blender with cocoa powder, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract. Process until smooth, adding a tablespoon at a time of milk if needed.
- Spoon frosting onto each cupcake. Sprinkle with crushed peppermints and serve!
*To make your own oat flour, simply blend rolled oats in a food processor or blender until a fine flour forms.
**For a nut-free option, use sunflower seed butter.
SHOP EMILIE'S FAVORITE ALBION GEAR