This is the easiest homemade bread recipe you will ever try and it only requires 4 ingredients! We love adding it to our Sunday meals, as it makes them a little more special. I start the process before going to bed on Saturday night, and let it rise through Sunday morning, so it's ready to bake before dinnertime. Plus, there's nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread to bring the whole family together!
3 cups all-purpose or bread flower
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110° F)
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, and salt. Add the water slowly and stir until blended. Dough will be sticky and stringy.
2. Cover bowl with with plastic wrap and let it rest and rise 12-24 hrs at room temperature. Once it has rested, the dough will be dotted with bubbles.
3. Flour a work surface (use parchment paper to make this process simpler) and transfer dough.
4. Shape dough into ball by folding it over itself. If dough is too sticky, generously flour. This recipe should work, even if your dough feels very loose.
5. Cover the dough with a tea towel and let it rest for 30 min.
6. While dough is resting, preheat oven to 450° F and place baking pan (I recommend a cast iron, enamel, or ceramic dutch oven with a lid) in the oven as it preheats.
7. Score your dough as desired.
8. Carefully transfer dough to the pre-heated dutch oven (this is where the parchment paper comes in handy), cover with the lid, and bake 35-40 min.
9. Remove lid and bake for an additional 10-15 min until loaf is golden brown.
10. Remove the bread from the oven and let it rest and cool in the dutch oven for 30 min.
We love dipping this bread in soups and chilis, spreading with butter and jam, or using the leftovers for sandwiches! It's truly a fool-proof recipe that is sure to make you feel like a professional baker. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!