A classic winter cookie with some added holiday cheer, these Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies are going to warm your heart and melt in your mouth. With the combination of chocolate, powdered sugar, and candy cane pieces these cookies are the whole package.
Thanks to Kelsey of The Farmer's Daughter for this perfect holiday recipe. Make sure to give her a follow @kelsey_thefarmersdaughter for more winter treat inspiration!
Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies
Prep Time 20 min Bake Time 10 min
Yields 12 cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 candy canes, crushed or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and oil until smooth. Use a hand or stand mixer to beat in the eggs, one at a time. (*Add in peppermint extract if using instead of candy canes)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to egg-mixture and beat on low until just combined. Fold in crushed candy canes if using.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to form about 12 cookies. Roll in the palm of your hand, the dough may be quite soft, and then roll in granulated sugar and then powdered sugar.
- Place onto the prepared cookie sheet, and repeat with the rest of the cookie balls. Bake for 10-13 minutes. The cookies will look puffed and slightly underdone, that's perfect!
- Remove and allow to cool completely on the pan before removing. The cookies will settle and crack further as they cool.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for a few days. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for several weeks.